Monday, January 7, 2013

2013 Year of the Snake


To many people, the snake is associated with venom and danger, But to some cultures, The snake is actually considered to be a symbol of Good Luck.
The snake is considered to be an important reptile, It helps balance the ecosystem by eating mice, which are pests to farmers and homeowners.
Ancient wisdom says a snake in the house is a good omen since it means your family will not starve. This is to be taken metaphorically; a snakes family never has the problem of starvation since he is such a great mediator making him good at business. Or it could mean that the snake is willing to sacrifice his possessions in order to pay for his family's food.
In some Asian cultures people believe the upcoming 2013 would be a wealthy year, when reproduction of all kind is blessed and love is definitely the only thing that human will think of.

 I took a lot of time and researched for a while, and slowly warmed up to the idea. Truth is, I had a fear of snakes for a long time! But I recently met and held a friends snake and after extensively researching I  discovered that the Ball Python is a completely docile harmless snake. He is sincerely not interested in eating me, he is only interested in eating mice.

Anyhow, after welcoming  home our new pet, we received much negative backlash from friends and family. People are fearful of my 3 year old daughters safety and think I made an unwise decision. The truth is, The tank is firmly secured with no chance of the snake escaping; right now, the snake is a tiny BABY and would choke to death on my pinky if he tried to bite me. We have taught my daughter very well regarding how to respect animals boundaries and she does not touch any of our lizard/turtle/snake tanks. She enjoys to watch these pets in their habitats and it is very educational and culture enriching for her to be exposed to different types of animals.

And quite frankly, to put it into a different perspective, dog owner's put their children at more of a risk then Ball Python owners. On average, over 20-30  people die every year due to fatal dog attacks. And the number keeps rising. But no one really judges the average dog owners?

Now there is NOT one record of a ball python killing a human. NOT ONE.

 Let me repeat that for the record:  

There are no known  fatalities  between a human and a ball python

Ball pythons actually do well with children but, of course it is always best to have them supervised when handling one. Some children have even handled a ball python so roughly that they have caused it to become injured. Ball pythons do not recognize people as food. The largest ball pythons, for the most part, cannot even consume a full grown jumbo rat.

Species like Burmese pythons, larger boas and reticulated pythons would be more likely candidates to put family members at harmful risk. And that is mostly due to the fact that they are not kept in secure cages.

Now that I got that off of my chest, I am happy to welcome this little guy into our family and hope we get to enjoy him for decades! :)

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you've done your research. I think a lot of the worry and judgement of people against owning a snake is due to tales of people having not done their research and ending up with huge snakes escaping and biting/squashing kids. Realistically, I think having the right snake can make a great pet.
    Unfortunately, my landlord won't let me keep a pet :(

    ReplyDelete